Monday, December 12, 2011

Drift Creek Falls





























A few days ago we woke up to a cold, gray, foggy day. Danny had the day off from school, and we were all anxious to get out of the house. So what were we to do?

Explore, of course.

We bundled everyone up, packed some snacks, and headed out. We drove 45 minutes away to Lincoln City, leaving behind foggy McMinnville and coming upon clear, sunny skies. We decided to check out Drift Creek Falls, which included a 3 mile hike and a huge suspension bridge right over the falls. We were excited to venture somewhere new and to do it together, all of us, as a family.







It was beautiful. Sadly, due to a miscommunication   ("I thought you grabbed the camera!") I was without my really nice camera. Thankfully, I had my Galaxy and so was able to get some pictures.



There were places, such as this, that had mist and sunlight pouring in. It was breathtaking, almost surreal. Wish the picture could show it! 






I love hiking. There's something about nature that just clears my head, rejuvenates me, and helps me to focus. As we wound up and down the path, seeing the green of the trees, ferns, moss, and just the life and wonder around us, it made me just so thankful for our loving Creator. He made it all for our enjoyment. Simply amazing.

The bridge itself was an adventure for me. It being suspended over 100 feet above the creek with the waterfall crashing right there, it was... well, scary. Oh, it was a very sturdy, safe bridge. It did have a little bit of shake to it (and sometimes more than a little bit, thanks to a certain crazy husband, ahem). I found myself quickly snapping pictures then briskly walking to the other side.

I enjoy waterfalls much better when I am not tottering over them.







Danny is such an adventurous dad. He and Caedon climbed up some big (slippery) rocks near the waterfall (and all with Alayna on his back!). Caedon loved it! I really am so thankful that Danny does things like that with our kids, challenging them and encouraging them to do daring things (safely with dad, of course!) and to help them to not be afraid. I am not like this.  I am basically a chicken when it comes to those things. Climb slippery rocks? No thanks, I will just sit here and take pictures (and worry! Ha! I am a mom, you know).

In all seriousness, everything of course went fine. After climbing the rocks, they climbed up the steep cliff wall to get back to the bridge (while I huffed and puffed 1/4 mile back up, dealing with my own steep trail grade. Looks like P90x and I need to get reacquainted!). And Caedon was just so excited that he climbed up the steep hill all by himself.








After our 3 miles of hiking, we ate some lunch and made a short stop at the ocean. I didn't get any pictures, but it was nice to just focus on what I was looking at instead of messing with the camera or figuring out the best shot. It was nice.

All in all, it was a lovely, relaxing, adventurous day. A nice way to spend a weekend, yes?


2 comments:

Lois said... Best Blogger Tips

Breath-taking pictures! Caedon and little Alayna are so cute. (Hat looks cute on Alayna). It definately looks adventurous. I miss all of you so much. Anxious to come visit. (32 days)... lol
Love ya, ♥ Momma ♥

sharon haydn said... Best Blogger Tips

Amy I always love your photography. Seems like you moved to paradise. Beautiful lush forest.

Post a Comment

 

the adventurous life Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger